Are you a new well owner and not sure of the proper steps to care for it? No need to worry, it isn’t as tough as you may think. Here are a few things to remember as you go about being a private well owner.
1. Test well water at least once per year.
- Try to at least check your well every spring. You should be checking for mechanical issues, coliform bacteria, nitrates, dissolved solids, and pH levels.
- The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) protects the public drinking water systems. But this does not apply to privately owned wells. So if you are a private well-owner, it is vital that you keep up with the quality of your well water. For more information on what to test for visit: https://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/drinking/private/wells/testing.html
2. Have a certified well contractor inspect the well system once a year.
- Contact your local health department to find a list of the state-certified laboratories in your area.
3. Install water filters to insure that your family has safe drinking water.
- A Water filter is used to remove impurities either by a physical barrier or a chemical or biological process. Angel Water, INC has a few different filter styles for private well owners to consider for keeping your family’s drinking water safe. Click this link for more information: water filter
4. Be cautious of what you put down your drain, and have a certified operator inspect your septic system.
- Most people don’t know the first thing about their septic tank. However, it is very important to keep it clean. It is not a good idea to flush things that could be thrown away or dump harmful chemicals down the drain. They will cause complications in your septic system. They may even destroy the helpful bacteria within. When septic systems fail that poorly treated household wastewater is released into the environment resulting in substantial health risks. It may even effect public drinking water.
Hopefully this information on what well owners should do gave you a good idea about how to take proper care of your well. If you have any questions or would like to purchase a quality water filter in Barrington please give us a call. We are here to help!