Water in Schaumburg, Illinois
Since 1988, Schaumburg gets one hundred percent of its water from Lake Michigan via Chicago. Before that, 18 wells supplied water throughout the village. Currently, Schaumburg uses a water pipeline from Chicago and a local pump station operated by the Joint Action Water Agency (JAWA) as well as additional reservoirs and pump stations. Schaumburg also has an emergency water connection with the DuPage Water Commission. The Village of Schaumburg prides itself on being one of the highest rated water systems with the highest rated water quality in the country since making the switch from wells to Lake Michigan water. And just how safe is Lake Michigan Water???
12 Contaminants found within health guidelines and legal limits.
In some states a small percentage of tests were performed before water was tested, and some contaminants were subsequently removed or diluted. As a result, some reported levels of contamination may be higher than were present at the tap. Results shown are based on individual samples and may not indicate a violation of the Safe Drinking Water Act, which often occurs only after prolonged tests show concentrations above a legal limit.
*As reported by the NY Times Toxic Water Report.
Schaumburg was not incorporated until 1956, but it has a long history dating back to the 1800s. The original name of the town, Sarah’s Grove, was inspired by three Sarah’s that lived in the area. While never official, the name was used until the middle of the century when it would be given its current name, Schaumburg. While residents at the time were from various parts of Germany, the ones with the most influence originated from Schaumburg-Lippe.
As was common in many areas of the time, farming was the focus of income. Although fairly isolated, the town managed to become a central service district due to its location and it would enjoy very prosperous times. The town remained “small” through the mid 1900s, but the invention of the automobile would change the makeup of this town rather quickly.
In 1956, Schaumburg had 130 residents and occupied a total of two square miles, and it was now officially incorporated. Located close to the now expanding O’Hare airport and with a new Northwest Tollway construction underway, the town was about to experience both a land and population boom. No longer would this be a 130 resident rural community.
Over the next twenty years, Schaumburg would expand rapidly. What was once a rural community of two square miles now occupied over 18 square miles with mass residential developments, corporate offices, manufacturing plants, and warehouses. By 1990, Schaumburg had over 68,000 residents. While it continued to draw more residents, the rate would significantly decrease simply because available land was diminishing.
The most recent expansion of land came in 2000 with a purchase of 45 acres of land by Interstate 90. This purchase was made to build a convention center and hotel, which would officially open in 2006. Today, Schaumburg is home to almost 75,000 residents. While the population growth is only expected to be moderate, industry growth is expected to continue.