- Local Water
WE ARE OPEN and Working for You! - Learn How Angel Water is Managing Covid-19 Learn More
Exposure to high levels can result in impaired bone growth in children
Can cause nausea & skin irritation
Buffalo Grove, IL uses surface water. This water is pumped from Lake Michigan to a treatment plant in Evanston, Illinois. The city of Evanston is the sole supplier of the treated, finished water. Evanston’s treatment plant uses conventional treatment (i.e. mixing, flocculation, sedimentation and filtration).
All surface water sources of community water supply are considered to be susceptible to potential pollution issues. Although all three of Evanston’s water intakes are located offshore making the shoreline impacts minimal to non-existent, at certain times of the year the potential for contamination exists due to the proximity of a major shipping lane, the North Shore Channel, and wet weather flows. Since the predominant land use within the Illinois boundary of Lake Michigan is urban, water drinkers should be aware that everyday activities taking place in an urban setting could potentially have a negative impact on their water.
Click on each pollution source to see from which source contaminants come.
Runoff and Sprawl
Water contaminants may come from more than one source.
Lcdpw Des Plaines River STP (800 Krause Drive, Buffalo Grove, Illinois 60089) – 43 Violations
Located in both Cook and Lake Counties and approximately 25 miles North West of the Loop, Buffalo Grove was first settled by New England farmers and German settlers who would carry their crops in wagons the 36 miles to Chicago for sale. In 1852, residents, the majority of which were Roman Catholic, raised $300 to purchase and donate seven acres of land in which to build St. Mary’s Church. A few years after being erected, the church was destroyed by arsonists and rebuilt in 1899.
By the turn of the century, dairy farming was an extensive practice, leading J.B. Weidner to open the area’s first cheese factory. Although the factory saw initial success, it quickly closed when the price of milk rose too high to continue production. By 1899, Little Mike’s Place opened across the street from St. Mary’s Church and offered residents a bar, dance floor, dining room, sleeping rooms, and a stable area for horses. This building is still in operation today as a local pizza shop.
The village of Buffalo Grove was incorporated in 1958 when its population grew from 164 to almost 1,500 residents in just two short years. The population continued to rise with large subdivisions like the Woodlands at Fiore and Strathmore and by the 1970s more and more Jewish residents were coming to the area. By the beginning of the 1990s, Buffalo Grove boasted six synagogues and by the end of the twentieth century, the area’s population reached almost 30 percent Jewish.
Today Buffalo Grove has grown from a humble area of just over 60 acres to a sprawling 5,000 with a population of over 42,000 residents. While the area began as a farming town, there are no working farms left within the town’s limits, although there are some operational farms nearby. During the 2010 elections, the town made history by recalling the first vote for a public official in Illinois history – nearly 70 percent of Buffalo Grove residents agreeing to the recall.